The electric car is attracting more and more people who seek to positively impact the environment and reducing routine fueling expenses by charging electric cars using solar panels. It actually allows them to save fuel. This vehicle uses green energy by reducing harmful emissions which make up a major part of air pollution. To go further, you have the option of charging your electric car via solar panels which are considered a green and efficient solution.
How is it possible? What are the advantages? Is recharging the electric car using solar panels profitable?
We present you in the rest of this article with detailed answers to help you understand everything before you embark on this investment.
If you want to know more about the profitability of solar panels: Solar panels: is it really profitable?
How to charge your car with solar energy?
Are you planning to invest in an electric car? It is possible to power it thanks to solar panels that work with renewable and almost inexhaustible energy. This method is considered effective and offers many advantages.
Solar self-consumption is the use of renewable energy to produce electricity and meet all of our energy needs without reselling to a supplier. The goal of self-consumption is to save on electricity bills by reducing costs.
How does the self-consumption solar kit work?
First, the solar panels capture the energy and transform it into direct current which will then be transformed into alternating current thanks to the converter. In order to charge your electric vehicle, all you have to do is connect the car to the domestic sector, so the electrons produced by the solar panels directly supply the battery of your electric car.
Recharge your car at any time thanks to storage batteries
As we know, solar panels are efficient during the day and when there is sunshine. For this, storing energy is essential in order to avoid unpleasant surprises. There are several solutions for this;
- Hydrogen storage
- Compressed air storage
- Storage by pumped storage
- Battery storage
- Storage by flywheels
For the storage batteries to function, it is sufficient that they are connected to the vehicle, they will transform the energy released into electrical energy. The battery is a more or less sensitive component and this is why you must be vigilant when using it to ensure optimal operation. Indeed, it is recommended not to charge the battery to more than 50% to limit cell wear. Also, it should not be allowed to discharge completely so that it is able to charge at regular intervals. A minimum load of 20% is then recommended.
It is necessary to avoid the strong heat since the battery becomes inefficient at a temperature above 40 degrees.
How long does it take to charge an electric car?
Several factors influence the charging time of an electric car, for example:
- Battery capacity: A battery pack determines the time required to charge an electric car. So, the larger the capacity of this battery, the longer it takes to charge and refuel.
- Battery Status: Naturally, a discharged battery takes longer to charge than a half-full battery.
- Maximum vehicle load rate: The loading speed is limited by the maximum load rate of the vehicle.
- Maximum charge point charge rate: As the charging speed is limited by the maximum charge rate of your charge point, it is not recommended to charge at a charge point with a lower rate than your vehicle. .
- Weather conditions: At low temperatures, the electric car becomes less efficient, so charging will take longer.
The duration also varies depending on the charging system, it can last 30 minutes as it can reach 10 hours. Here is a detailed list of existing systems:
- Recharging by the household socket: Most electric cars can be recharged in 8 to 10 hours with a 230V socket using a cable supplied with the car.
- “Normal” recharging with a charging station: You can install a charging station at home to charge your electric cars in 4 to 6 hours. This solution is considered the easiest to use and the cheapest with a price ranging from PKR 60,000 to PKR 200,000.
- “Semi-rapid” recharging in business: This method takes approximately an hour and a quarter to recharge a car. It is used in companies since they have the possibility of installing powerful fittings.
- “Fast” recharging in service stations: This is the fastest recharging technique with a duration of 30 minutes thanks to the power of the terminals used which allow the electric battery to be recharged to 80% in this record time.
It is possible to calculate the charging time yourself by following these steps:
- Calculate the charging power by multiplying the current by the voltage, you will get a result in Watts.
- In order to convert the value into kilowatts, you need to divide the charging power by 1000.
- Finally, to get the charging time, just divide the capacity of your battery by the number obtained.
How many solar panels does it take to charge an electric car?
The number of solar panels depends on many factors:
- The type of battery in your vehicle
- The power of the charging station
- People living in your household
- Electrical appliances that consume a large amount of energy in your home
- Your budget
We take for example a power of 3 KWS, the latter requires between 8 and 10 solar panels. It is recommended to call on an expert before installing the solar panels so that he can do a tailor-made study for you and guarantee solar self-consumption.
The advantages of recharging with solar energy
- Sustainable and clean energy: Solar energy is a renewable energy that allows you to recharge your car without ejecting pollutants (carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, etc.) which will positively impact the environment by improving air quality and by limiting global warming.
- Economical: Solar power is considered economical and very profitable in the long run. It reduces your electric bill which will save you money.
- Self-consumption of solar energy: Self-consumption of solar energy is to satisfy all of its needs without selling to other sources apart from solar panels. It is essential to invest in batteries in order to store solar energy not consumed in order to distribute it when the weather is bad and there is no sun, and this guarantees its autonomy.
- Sale of surplus electricity: Solar energy allows you to produce your own sustainable and green energy that will be used to cover your needs in terms of home heating, recharging your electric vehicle as well as having surplus electricity. In this case, you have the option of selling that excess to make more profit.
Is it profitable?
The profitability of charging electric cars using solar panels depends on several important factors: the vehicle model, the mode of use, and the storage system. Indeed, if you ensure solar self-consumption you will guarantee the profitability of this investment since solar panels are very advantageous compared to the storage battery;
- Solar panels require little maintenance.
- Charging your car via solar panels reduces energy loss.
- Electricity is cheaper than gasoline.
- You can benefit from state aid and subsidies.
Electric car and solar panels: the winning duo
Multiple advantages are presented by the electric car and the solar panels which compose a powerful duo for the individual as well as for the environment through charging electric cars using solar panels. Opting for such an investment requires a complete study of your needs and your use of the electric vehicle. We then suggest that you call on an expert in order to benefit from a tailor-made analysis and guarantee adequate charging for your car.
Do not hesitate to contact us for more information!